Choosing the right personal injury lawyer isn’t always easy – but it’s definitely worth the effort. There are many factors that can help you narrow down a wide field to the personal injury lawyer best suited to your unique claim.
- Area of expertise. Ask your potential lawyer about similar cases they’ve handled and what the outcomes were. Discuss state laws relating to your type of case.
- Area of focus. Does the lawyer and/or firm focus on a particular type of personal injury case? Lawyers have specialties (and the experience and expertise that comes with them) just like medical professionals do. Wondering if your personal injury lawyer is conversant with your specific type of claim is not often a big confidence booster.
- Negotiation skills. Many personal injury lawsuits are resolved with a settlement before trial. Can your personal injury lawyer negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement?
- Willingness to stick with you all the way. Is your potential lawyer prepared to take your case to trial in order to obtain the compensation you deserve? Or do you feel like they are in a rush to take the first settlement offered and move on to the next client?
- Reputation counts. A personal injury lawyer with a positive reputation – for working well with insurance companies, court systems, and other lawyers, for handling cases competently, for resolving cases quickly and fairly – can put you in an optimal position for obtaining the compensation you deserve.
- Objectivity. A lawyer who allows personal bias to interfere with your case may not get you the compensation you deserve for your injury.
- Availability. A lawyer often has more than one client at a time, but you shouldn’t have to feel like you are the last person on their list! A personal injury lawyer should be available to respond to questions in a timely manner – and not make you feel like a nuisance for asking. You should be able to get status updates on a regular basis.
- Personality. While you probably won’t be best friends with your personal injury lawyer, it is important to feel like your lawyer cares about your case, listens attentively, and has your best interests in mind.
This may seem like a great deal of effort, but finding the right person to represent you in a personal injury case is incredibly important. Think of your first talk with a personal injury lawyer as an interview. If the lawyer doesn’t seem to be a good fit, try another. It may be difficult to find a lawyer who will take your case, but don’t give up home. If you have been legitimately injured due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve fair compensation.
Are you unsure whether your personal injury claim is legitimate? A conversation with an experienced personal injury lawyer can give you insight into the pros and cons of pursuing a claim.
If you believe a family member or loved one is being abused or neglected in their care facility, assisted living, or nursing home, contact Philadelphia attorneys Villari, Lentz & Lynam, LLC. They stand ready to investigate and pursue all available civil damage remedies. Call (215) 568-1990 or complete the short form here.